Two recent surveys reveal a widespread belief among teachers that students have shorter attention spans because of their constant use of digital technology.
Are you distracted by technology? Are smartphones, texting, video games, iPads, Facebook, Web surfing and television getting in the way of your learning?
In “Technology Changing How Students Learn, Teachers Say,” Matt Richtel reports on the two surveys:
There is a widespread belief among teachers that students’ constant use of digital technology is hampering their attention spans and ability to persevere in the face of challenging tasks, according to two surveys of teachers being released on Thursday.
The researchers note that their findings represent the subjective views of teachers and should not be seen as definitive proof that widespread use of computers, phones and video games affects students’ capability to focus.
Even so, the researchers who performed the studies, as well as scholars who study technology’s impact on behavior and the brain, say the studies are significant because of the vantage points of teachers, who spend hours a day observing students.
Students: Are you distracted by technology? Are smartphones, texting, video games, iPads, Facebook, Web surfing and television getting in the way of your learning?
- Has digital technology shortened your attention span?
- Do you suffer from a “Wikipedia problem”? Are you likely to give up when you can’t find an answer quickly?
- Do you find reality less interesting than what you’re doing and viewing on a screen?
- How much time do you spend each day in front of a screen?
- Do you think technology is getting in the way of your ability to write and communicate face to face?
- Is technology distracting you from your homework?
Questions about issues in the news for students 13 and older.
Все прочитали: - …в этих бомбах использовались разные виды взрывчатого вещества… обладающие идентичными химическими характеристиками. Эти изотопы нельзя разделить путем обычного химического извлечения. Кроме незначительной разницы в атомном весе, они абсолютно идентичны.
- Атомный вес! - возбужденно воскликнул Джабба. - Единственное различие - их атомный вес.