Pick the world that is nearly similar in meaning to the capitalized word:
- Acrimonious: Bitter
- Calligraphy: Handwriting
- Unequivocal: Plain
- Demise: Death
- Incendiary: Causing fire.
- Touchstone: Criterion
- Void: Emptiness
- Essay: Attempt
Indicate the most nearly opposite in meaning to the word in capital letters:
- Ignoble: Noble
- Melancholy: Happy
- Obliterate: Preserve
- Ally: Foe
- Vulgar: Exquisite
- Pretend: Substantiate
- Liberty: Bound
- Conscientious: Profligate.
Precis title: Envy as a cause of unhappiness:
Jealousy is the worst human trait. Jealous Person intends to give injury to others and by intending so gives himself pain. He does not enjoy his possessions, but mourn others belongings. He attempts to dispossess others from their valuables for stripling others is as suitable as acquiring them personally. Given the laxity, this spirit has the capacity to be devastating, threatening every work of genius. Contrary to jealousy human psyche has another positive trait i.e., praising others. Persons seeking happiness must promote praising others and decrease jealousy. The remedy for jealousy is happiness. A jealous person may argue that he cannot gain happiness till he is covetous. But understanding the reasons of jealousy is a big move towards redressing it.
- What made Galileo recent the truth he knew?
The cruel suppression of the scientific knowledge by the Roman Church and the torture of Inquisition made Galileo recant the truth he knows.
- What is the heritage being alluded to in the first paragraph?
The knowledge and information that has been accumulated over centuries is being alluded to in the first paragraph as heritage with the emphasis that modern generation must continue it.
- What does the “betrayal of our trust” imply?
The betrayal of trust implies losing the spirit of inquiry by the present generation and thereby failing to make any contribution in the existing knowledge for the future generations.
- Why do we need to question the old truth and work for the new ones?
The author suggest to us to question the old truths and work for the new ones to make our lives as well as the lives of future generations comfortable and more worthy of living.
- Explain the underline worlds.
|1. Inquisition||Roman Church courts.|
|2. The planet||The world in which we live.|
|4. Cynicism||Lack of Hope.|
|5. Those who are yet to be.||Future generations.|
Q: Write A Comprehensive Note (250-300) Words On Any One Of The Following:
See: A Civil Servant is Public Servant.
Yeoman’s service: very important contribution.
Sir Syed has done a Yeoman Service to Muslim of Sub-Continent.
A Casting Vote: A deciding or decisive vote.
The matter resolved only when the speaker himself came forward for a casting vote.
Out of wood: Escape from danger.
We are not out of wood yet.
Look down upon: to hate. We shall not look down upon the poor.
Make for: Move towards.
We made for the college together.
PAIR OF WORDS:
Adverse: not suitable or appropriate.
His senior made adverse remarks against him in the annual report.
Adverse: not liking or opposing something.
Our family is not averse to female education.
Maize is rich in protein and fiber.
Maze: A labyrinth; a complicated series of paths where one can easily gets astray.
Our law is a maze of rules and regulations with practically zero implementation.
Medal: a piece of metal to recognize performance.
I have not been able to win a single medal in my life yet.
Meddle: to interfere often unnecessarily.
Do not meddle in my affair. Mind your own business.
Imperial: phenomenon of expanding the rule.
Germany’s imperial motives caused the world war-II.
Imperious: treating people as they were of lower race or statics.
Aslam has an imperious attitude.
Veracity: Truth, Truthfulness.
I doubt the veracity of his claims.
Voracity: Greed, Avidness.
His voracity for knowledge is commendable.
Ordnance: related to arms production.
The Pakistan ordnance factory is crucial for meeting the needs of our Army.
Ordinance: a legal order.
The President has issued a new ordinance to control women harassment in the country.
- The climate of Pakistan is better than that of England.
- He swore to God.
- You ought to have regarded him as your benefactor.
- My friend is very ill; I fear he will die soon.
- When I see her, I will deliver her your gift.
Change of narration.
- He said that his son was coming on Monday.
- They wanted to know, “where is he going that week?”
- He inquired had she gone the previous day.
- He swore to God that he did not know her nickname.
- Ask the old man sitting on the gate.
- My father said “may you recover from you illness. ”
CSS English Past paperscss english past papers solvedcss english precis paper 2010css english precis paper 2010 solvedCSS english precis solved 2010CSS english precis solved paperscss solved english precis and composition paper 2010solved 2010 precis css
One of the toughest tasks in CSS written part is to get through the Essay paper. CSS aspirants put around 60% of their efforts in preparing English Essay, and English Grammar & Composition papers. However, they account for only 17% of the overall weightage. Some clichés, false practices and our mindset make it a herculean task. Without delay, let us ponder on the issue and hope things will get easier after that.
It is commonly believed that if you pass the Essay paper, you will be a CSP. This extra conscious approach makes it harder to get through as English always has its “fear factor”.
Language barrier and ill practices
Feeling weak in English, we make relentless efforts to learn it. Here, I disapprove those tutors who take 3 months or so to teach how to write correct English. It means out of 240 days (8 months) to prepare for CSS written part, only 90 days (3 months) are reserved for preparing ‘Essay’, and ‘Composition’ papers with no surety to get through. Therefore, individual tuition should be discouraged in order to utilize energies evenly in right direction.
Misunderstanding the topic
Most candidates, in haste, often don’t comprehend the topic, hence, ultimately end up as a failure. Understanding topic is crucial to achieving success in Essay paper.
Essay is the first paper. It is also true that we always take time to kick off. By the time we start writing essay, it is almost 10:00am. So, do manage your time .
ROAD TO ESSAY WRITING
Sans practicing right things, you cannot ensure successful culmination. Follow the following path to get through:
- Stick to the basics; parts of speech, tenses, punctuation, sentence structure, vocabulary, paragraph writing, and all other basic components of English should be learnt. This can be done by reading a simple grammar book.
- There are few common rules of writing essay that should be learnt rigorously.
- Practicing short essays will give you command over essay writing and putting firm foundation for full length essay.
- Going through past papers, and by following current trends, shortlist some topics and collect relevant material. How much will be sufficient can be gauged by developing detailed outline of each topic.
Material can be gathered from two sources: One; books, magazines, newspapers, journals, etc. Two; from official documents like Quarterly reports of SBP, Economic Survey of Pakistan; reports of international agencies like WB, IMF, ADB, UN, USAID etc; treaties, agreements, etc. They are significant in order to strengthen your discourse skills.
- Practice essay after CSS pattern and get it evaluated. This should be done regularly especially in Dec and Jan. In this way, you will feel less pressure in actual examination.
TECHNIQUES FOR CSS ESSAY
1. Selection of Topic
This is crucial. Read question paper extensively. List the topics you can write on and brainstorm. Make rough outlines of those and then finalize one topic.
2. Uncommon Topics
There are some unusual topics in paper, which need advanced knowledge of a particular field or sometimes general understanding of many concepts. Let’s elaborate few topics from past papers to understand this:“Literature is the best criticism of life” (2010)
- What is Literature; definitions:
- Origin of Literature as a reflection of life:
- Development of Literature and shades of society in it:
- Excerpts from Medieval English poetry and Elizabethan drama to authenticate its relationship with life:
- Arabic literature; pre-Islamic & Islamic periods:
- Pakistan Movement and Urdu Literature:
- Literature and Pakistani Society:
- Global trends in modern literature & relevance to life:
- Critical Analysis:
“Beggars cannot be choosers” (2012)
2. Meaning and relevance of the Quote:
3. Economic dependency of Pakistan:
4. Economic aid and its impacts on Foreign Policy:
5. Can Pakistan achieve economic independence ever:
6. Relevance of the quote with Indo-Pak ties:
7. Suggestions to make Pakistan truly independent:
8. Conclusion:“Freedom of speech should have limitations” (2013)
2. Media in Pakistan; perfect match for the quote
3. Freedom of speech, if unbridled can be dangerous; elabo
rations and illustrations from Pakistan
4. Government policies and freedom of media in Pakistan
5. Challenges to freedom of speech in Pakistan
6. Ways and means to ensure freedom of speech with re
Outline is the skeleton of essay. It should be very comprehensive and elaborated.
A sample outline of topic “Failure of Governance in Pakistan”
2. Prerequisites of good governance:
2.1 Rule of law
2.3 Equal distribution of resources and opportuni
2.4 Service delivery
3. Evidences of failure of governance in Pakistan
3.1 Absence of rule of law
3.2 state organs and national institutions are con
tradicting and overriding each other
3.3 Rampant extremism, terrorism and security is
3.4 Insurmountable domestic and international
3.5 Nepotism, favoritism and corruption have be
come inherent features of institutions
3.6 Consistently deploring economic condition
and rising unemployment, poverty and
3.7 Rupturing social infrastructure, degrading
social institutions and widespread social
4. In-depth analysis on current state of governance:
5. Solutions to ensure good governance in Pakistan:
5.1 Strong and independent parliament
5.2 Rule of law and no institutional activism
5.3 Drastic measures to curb Terrorism
5.3 De-politicization of administration
5.4 Strict enforcement of Law and accountability
5.5 Ensuring service delivery through public private
Partnership, higher GDP allocations and by attracting
5.6 Building human resource and enhancing job base to
utilize human resource
5.7 Optimum utilization of indigenous resources to re
duce fiscal and trade deficits and economic uplift
5.8 Planned urbanization, controlled population growth
and infusing high moral
Write short sentences. Use simple vocabulary. Avoid informal writing and contractions.
Give statistics with reference. Quote properly. Analyze with reason.
General structure of introduction should be:
Topic Sentence (addressing the topic directly)
Supporting Sentences (6 – 8 sentences comprising explanations, examples, statistics, quotations etc., in support of topic sentence i.e. statement of essay)
Thesis Statement (gist of essay in 1 or 2 sentences)
A sample introduction for the same topic is as under:
Good governance in Pakistan has become an unrealized dream. (Topic Sentence)
History is evident of the fact that nations did not vanish due to poverty or hunger, but because of mal-administration and bad governance. Pakistan has been home to many serious troubles including terrorism, corruption, energy crisis, water crisis, rising poverty and uncontrolled urbanization. But if causes are traced there is only one answer and that is absence of good governance. If recent events are traced back, it will be unveiled that Pakistan must have not fallen prey to such serious problems had there been better governance system. But quite unfortunately, governance kept deteriorating and so did the system. There must be realization among the giants of administration and governance that why there is always need of judiciary to correct their ills? Why at the end of every disaster foreign aid becomes the sole resort? Why after every security failure foreign hand is blamed? The answer is same that when system of governance is absent; the vacuum is filled by those who have no role to play in it. (Supporting Sentences)
The following paragraphs should highlight main ingredients of good governance followed by the evidences on absence of good governance in Pakistan. Leading to the end. there will be analysis of current situation along with solutions to ensure good governance . (Thesis Statement)
Follow the sequence of the outline
Write paragraph for each major point in outline
Write relevant and practice to get perfection. More prepared you are, lesser are the chances of failure. Remember that aforementioned views and techniques are not absolute. Essay is all about presenting arguments in convincing way. But as CSS candidates have limited understanding of language, restricted time and different things to deal with, it is not advisable to experiment with language. Write less but write quality. Fluency, coherence, brevity and reason will make you win.
By: Sikander Zishan
The writer is a PAS officer from 37th CTP